I had an interesting experience a while back and I had written about it before. I stumbled on that article again, and as I read it, I thought to share. Enjoy and be blessed.
One fateful evening in 2014, a friend of mine was stranded, and he pleaded that I should give him a ride home. I had no issue doing that, except for the fact that he lived in a part of Lagos I wasn’t too familiar with. The journey to get there would be easy seeing that he will give me directions, but as I pondered the journey back to my house, I was worried that I would get lost. It was night time, and I sure didn’t want to have any issues on the road. I eventually agreed to take him, as he painsatkingly described how I would navigate my way back.
After dropping him off, I began the return journey. The night seemed darker than usual, car headlights were blinding my vision, and then it seemed I didn’t even have an inkling of what route to take, though my friend had tirelessly explained the road back, which sounded easy when he said it. I began to panic, and all I could think was “how did I get here”??? I tried to phone a friend for directions but alas, network issues, my phone wasn’t dialling anyone. At this point I knew I had entered one chance!!!
Then suddenly it happened…I saw a road sign, and I remembered seeing several of them as we drove to his house. So it occurred to me the signs could also lead me back to my destination. I decided then to follow the signs. As I drove on, I saw a 2nd sign, and then a 3rd one, etc. I kept following the signs, and before I knew it I had climbed a familiar bridge…the rest as we say is history. I got home safe and in quick time. I was elated, felt like I’d just achieved some award winning feat.
As I thought about the trip and what has just happened, I realised this is how God leads, or at least tries to lead (When we recognise and follow His signs). He gives us the signs, the pointers which are all around, but why do we miss it so much, or why do we seem blind to it sometimes? Maybe because;
- We am not looking out for it?
- We are too distracted by our`own feeling of inadequacy and helplessness.
- We decide to trust in man and seek mans direction?
- We have a plan B, C and D?
- We think the matter is too trivial for God.
- We don’t see God as our all Knowing source and all time helper…
As I thought about the several reasons, many of the thoughts above came to me. It seems we don’t always recognise that God is interested in every area of our lives, the big and the small, and that at every point He is watching over and guiding us. I am reminded of one of my favourite scriptures in the bible, Psalm 32:8 (NLT)
The Lord says, “I will guide you along the best pathway for your life.
I will advise you and watch over you.
So what turned out to be finding the way home also became a learning experience and I would share below some other things I learnt from this, also using some scriptures that occurred to me;
- God is always leading us, the signs are always there; Isaiah 42:16 – Maybe it sometime you have not done before, Though you have not done before, its new, it’s strange for you, its unfamiliar territory, a new Job, relationship, marriage, starting a business, or like me just a new route, God will lead you.
- We need to pay attention, look out for the signs; Habakkuk 2:1, Matt 26:41 says Watch and Pray . We need to pay attention, we need to be alert and observant, like Habakkuk said I will stand to SEE what He will say. Let’s pray for the Grace to see and recognise the signs.
- The signs don’t come all at once; Isaiah 28:10. Just like the road signs, I saw the 1stone, followed it till I saw the second and then kept going. Sometimes the challenge is we want to see the end from the beginning. That’s not our place, but for God Isaiah 46:10. For us we follow step by step, just like Abraham did Genesis 12:1.
- There’s always a tendency to trust more in man than God; 1st Kings 13 1-24. I find this story very instructional, please read and learn from it. Just like I was tempted to phone a friend, whom I wasn’t even sure knew the way. Yes he might have helped, but in this case there were clear road signs to guide me. (I am not saying do not get advice from or listen to man, there’s also a place for that.) But in some cases, God has shown us the way in all clarity, He’s given the sign. Don’t try to seek validation, or support from man. When God shows you, so it is!!! Our relationship with God is a very private affair.
- God’s way always turns out perfect; Jeremiah 29:11. Following God you can never miss it. Just Trust and Obey!
It is my prayer that at all times, we make Loving and Seeking God our NO 1 priority. Let us realise it is God or nothing. Let us learn to walk with Him. Let us daily ask Him for wisdom, that He may open our eyes that we SEE. That we recognize the signs He has put in place, and let us pray for the Grace to follow the signs.
God is for us, He loves us with an everlasting love. Let us open our lives to Him like never before and experience Him afresh.
God Bless us All.